Total Topics: 98
Most Online Today: 5
Most Online Ever: 520
(December 29, 2022, 07:54:25 AM)
Users Online
Members: 0
Guests: 3
Total: 3

Author Topic: heroes with dementia  (Read 4268 times)

martin@

• Site Admin
  • Writer
heroes with dementia
« on: December 07, 2019, 09:46:21 PM »
I’ve been watching the Villa for over half their existence. This is my collection of Villa snapshots. Would you like to see them? You would? Great. This one is me aged eight, going to Villa Park for a game for the first time. All my family are Villa fans but I’m very proud that I went to my first game on my own. My brothers are quite a bit older than I am and they didn't want a little kid with them. The picture shows me waiting for the 44 from Greet to town. Behind the bus stop is a big area of bombed buildings which copped it the night they hit the BSA. It was a penny child’s ticket to Carrs Lane. This next one is the long queue of corporation buses, all with 'Villa Park' on the front and the back where the bus number would usually be. That’s me crossing the road and joining the long left. It had wooden floors and they used to make a hell of a noise banging their feet on it. Over there on the right is the corrugated iron roofed Witton Lane stand. The snapshot is not very clear but you can just make out where they patched up the holes in the roof of the Witton Lane stand where it was damaged by bombing. This picture is of the turnstile down near the left hand corner flag where you could pay a tanner (6d) and swap ends. Just like these days we liked the Villa to attack the Holte End in the second half but if we lost the toss and attacked it in the first half we would spend a tanner and swap ends. If Harry Parkes, or Ivor Powell or Johnny Dixon won the toss we would not have to swap ends and we could spend our preciou

Adverts

Adverts

Adverts