Author Topic: A selling club  (Read 5546 times)

martin@

• Site Guru
  • Writer
A selling club
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:12 PM »
Watching MOTD just now, in the aftermath of the highlights of our match, Lawrenson said (and I paraphrase) "it's going to be interesting to see how the chairman acts, because Villa seem to have become a selling club, they sold Barry last year and Milner this year, it looks like the chairman has considered the investment needed, and the wage bill, and decided enough is enough".

Now, even taking into account the fact that Lawro is a gigantic friend of Martin, so to speak, I thought this was the best example yet of the way the media have so eagerly bought into this notion of us as a selling club.

Interesting that he cited the two top level players we've sold, and we sold them both to Manchester City, having had the predictable financial pressure they have at their disposal placed on us. Pressure which pretty much no club, or player, could withstand.

I wonder, why Internazionale aren't being labelled a selling club for selling Balotelli to them? Or Arsenal for selling them both Adebayour and Toure? Or Everton for selling them Lescott?

Are we going to shake off this label, or is it going to become a self fulfilling prophecy? Manager leaves, assumptions are made that it is about star player being sold, season goes to shit, remaining star players get unsettled, want to leave, circle repeats.

I'm strongly of the opinion that the chairman has invested very well in us, and will continue to do so, but this strikes me as an absolutely crucial period for him, his stewardship of the club is going to need to be absolutely spot on, because this could very, very easily go the wrong way, if events start to spiral - the die is cast, the media have made their mind up.

Clubs sell players, it happens - as well as the examples listed above, I don't remember Spurs being labelled as a selling club for selling Carrick and Berbatov to Man United - but it seems to me that they really, really do have it in for us at the moment.

Or am I being overly paranoid?

read more comments or discuss this here